Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My recent work: Literacy is Power + Human


The power of literacy if often overlooked in third world countries. Often these people have too much to focus on to worry about literacy. They are often too hungry and poor to even worry about books and education. My literacy projects aim inform these people about literacy and its power. This is a sketch of designs I plan of executing. Please let me know what you think. I am alway open for discussion.

This piece is my commentary on the grid chapter in the Higgin book about the grid system. Since everything in our lives revolve around the grid and the cubes, my comment was that... even though our thinking is based on logic and order, the moment emotions are introduced, it overrides all logic.


4 comments:

  1. I like the concept of the grid, but when I see the flower I think beauty and very concrete. When I think about emotions I think chaotic and not always pretty. Love can override all logic, but so can hate and anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is interesting Teresa. So to you, the emotions or beauty, you see in the background? I never looked at it that way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, maybe I worded that awkwardly.

    I thought the flower was supposed to represent emotions, and the cubes represent logic. So the flower (emotions) jumbled up and faded out the cubes (logic) at the top.

    I didn't think that a flower was a good representation of emotion because it only portrays the good/pretty side in a concrete form.

    When I think about emotions, I think chaos - there isn't really any concrete order to emotions they are often unpredictible. And there's also a very ugly side to emotions that the flower just doesn't show me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm. you make a good point. i shall think about this in the next iteration of this composition.

    ReplyDelete